7:00 PM

Today's Life Lesson

So when I lived in Reno, I found out something that really...I don't know. Made me grow up a little bit I guess. Shook my faith in the world, and kind of made me realize how small I am.

I found out that there are a significant number of mean, ignorant people out there, specifically in the form of prejudice and discrimination.

And then I came home to Vegas and realized something else; someone I love is one of those people.

I sent a text to The Best Friend saying, "I woke up one morning and they were a prejudiced asshole.", but I guess that isn't really true. Now that I think about it, this person has always been like that. Mormons, homosexuals, southerners, politicians, firefighters, contractors, teen drivers, you name it. They've got an opinion on everybody never met.

That shakes me a little bit, and kind of hurts. I guess its because my mom taught me that I'm not better than anybody else just because they're different than me. My mom taught me to actually seek out differences, to embrace them, and to realize that I will never know another's struggle.

So, here's my confession to the public: I'm a bible-thumping gay southern politician with a major in fire science and a minor in contracting.

1 comments:

handheaded said...

just thought bloggin thinkin you aint ugly even if you is a politician you just be stampin down the grass in your own patch when you keep sayin it
peace