10:16 AM

ATMs For The Visually Impaired

So I've pretty much resigned myself to the blindness that makes my world a fuzzy mess. I know better than other people how to recognize the sound of someone's voice or the smell of what's cooking in the kitchen. I can tell you which dog is coming in by the pattern of their toenails clicking on the linoleum. Contacts and glasses make it so I can drive, but even with those I don't have 20/20. It doesn't help that sometimes I have a hard time focusing, probably because of the glaucoma that is attempting to squeeze my eyeballs out of my head.

(On a side note, when my doctor told me that I'll probably get prescribed medication for glaucoma the next time I came in, I asked him what exactly glaucoma is and does. He told me that it's a mysterious pressure in your head that affects your eyes. So I asked if my eyeballs would explode if I just let it go untreated. He said no, it would only detach my retinas. I was disappointed.)

Anyway, Mama trying to get me to look at cards for my cousin's birthday today (Happy Birthday Alisa!) I found myself wondering this...if I go officially blind, and can't read braille, does that make me illiterate?

0 comments: