2:10 AM

What I Believe In (Holiday Edition)

[Real quick: I actually wrote this down a while ago. Last Christmas, to be specific. I wrote it for Craigslist, as I had recently been posting lists of what I believe in, and encouraging others to share the same. I wrote it on the blog I had then, and I found it when looking through to see if there were any files I wanted to transfer. This turned out to be the only one. Enjoy.]

What I Believe In (Holiday Edition)

Building half ass snowmen.
Thinking about food nonstop.
Cookies.
Warm bread.
Corned beef and cabbage.
Roast with carrots and potatoes.
Turkey.
Turkey noodle soup, with the egg noodles.
Hot tea.
Hot chocolate.
Hot apple cider.
Martinellis sparkling cider.
Tamales.
Stuffing.
Having an excuse to be kind.
Looking at Christmas lights.
Driving around aimlessly.
Christmas specials.
Claymation.
Christmas music.
Carol Of The Bells.
Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Bing Crosby.
Nat King Cole.
Porcelain Santas.
Decorating the day after Thanksgiving.
Family.
Cold fingers and even colder noses.
Sweaters.
Turkey Bucks.*
Christmas open houses.
Saying Merry Christmas even if you're Muslim.
Saying Happy Hannukah even if you're Christian.
White elephants.
Jesus Christ, maybe not as MY savior, but definitely someone's.
Appreciation of religions.
Santa Clauses with bells and red metal buckets.
Feeding the dogs the fat off my roast beef.
Breakast for the dogs.**
Stupid socks you would normally never show anybody.
Ornate nativities.
The overwhelming smell of vanilla and cinnamon.
Sales.
Snow.
The impressive display of deep crimsons, glittering golds, and greens so foresty you can almost smell the pine.
The smell of pine.
Choosing the perfect present for everybody.S
tockings, even for the animals.
Paper chains.
Being toasty warm when everything around you is so bitterly cold.
Baking cookies with friends.
Kisses under mistletoe.
Kisses not under mistletoe.
Being unabashadly happy to be alive at least once a year.

*Don't know if other stores did that, but Lin's Marketplace where I worked and shopped at in my home town of Moapa Valley gave you a 50 cent Turkey Buck for every so much you spent, and then when you bought your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey, you put your Turkey Bucks toward it.
**Oatmeal, honey, peanut butter, milk, and a couple of raw eggs.

0 comments: